Sabang International Freediving Competition 2019
Welcome to the 3rd Sabang International Freediving Competition 2019
The Competition fully funded and supported by The Government of Aceh Province and The Ministry of Indonesian tourism, will take place over the period of six consecutive days starting on November 2nd until November 7th 2019. Location will be Balohan Bay, Sabang, Weh Island, Aceh and our starting point will be the Mata Ie Resort, located on Weh Island’s east coast.
There are six competition days.
- Day 1: CWT Male
- Day 2: CWT Female
- Day 3: FIM Male
- Day 4: FIM Female
- Day 5: CNF Male
- Day 6: CNF Female
The best overall results from all three disciplines performed in that order will determine the top three divers (male / female). However you are free to announce dives that are not representing the discipline of that day. For example you can do a FIM dive on the CNF day. That dive will of course appear in the AIDA International ranking, but you will receive zero points for that day for the comp internal ranking.
Who can join SIFC 2019?
Freedivers of all levels are welcome to compete. The only prerequisites are:
- Minimum age is 18 years or 16 with parental consent
- You need to be in good health and present the AIDA Medical Statement for Competitions signed by a physician
- In order for your dives to appear in the ranking you need to be a member of a National AIDA. If your country does not have an AIDA yet please contact us in advance
- You need to be registered as an Athlete on the AIDA website, feel free to contact us for assistance
- The maximum depth for the competition is 100 meters
- We are accepting a total of 40 registrations
How can I join and register
The cost for the competition is Free, no registration fee at all. The competition includes the 3 official dives over 6 days and the closing party including dinner on November 7th. To sign up for the event you can register by August 19, 2019 at 19.00 Jakarta time.
After registering online you will receive an invitation to confirm your slot for the competition by sending your flight ticket to Sabang or Aceh. If we do not receive until September 9th your registration will expire and we give priority to the next athlete on the waiting list.
We have space for 40 competing athletes, 20 Male athletes and 20 Female Athletes. However in the past years the competition was always fully booked within very short time after the opening of registration. Once the competition is full we will create a waiting list for any additional inquiries. Once registered athletes cancel or do not confirm until the due date of September 9th, we will give priority to the next athlete on the waiting list.
The Competition Meeting
There is an event meeting where all competing athletes must be present. It will take place on November 1st at 3pm at Mata Ie Resort. What you need to bring:
- Lanyard including belt for CNF for checking by the judges
- AIDA Medical Statement which must be signed by a physician and says “fit for Freediving” and is not older than 1 year
- We will take your depth announcement for CWT
For athletes who do not have a medical statement, there will be a doctor present who will issue medicals for a fee of 20 USD from 2:30-3pm.
After completing the registration of all athletes we will give a review of the competition rules and also publish the start list for day 1. The meeting will finish at around 5pm with a group picture.
Safety during SIFC 2019
Like every year, safety is our main concern. We want to organize an event that is fun and relaxed but at the same time safe and professional. Here are some of our safety mechanisms:
- Announcements are limited to not more than 5m than the athletes PB in the discipline within the last three months.
- A group of highly experienced Safety Freedivers will provide safety at the appropriate depth for every diver.
- Deep Safety with a DPV (underwater scooter) will meet every diver at at least half of their announced depth with max 40m depth.
- Every dive will be monitored from the surface by our Depth Sonar.
- Our highly effective Counterweight System gives us the possibility to retrieve divers within very short amount of time with stable platform system floating dock.
- Experienced Competition doctors will be on standby for every diver.
- Athletes who experience lung or trachea squeeze or a Blackout below the surface with Safety Divers assisting the athlete to the surface will not be allowed to compete on any of the remaining days of the event. Surface LMC / Blackout will be evaluated by the Event Medics and the Jury will decide if the athlete will be allowed to continue to compete.
In the unlikely event of any diver needing additional care in a hospital we have multiple cars on standby that can reach the nearest clinic within 15min.
The Medical Team and Organizers have the right to refuse the start of any athlete if diving would pose an obvious risk to the diver’s health or safety.
Water conditions in Weh Island
October and November are usually the calm months in the Pulau Weh. Protected Balohan bay are mostly very little to no wind, will make for nice surface conditions. The water temperature will be 28 – 30 degrees on the surface. This temperature stays constant until a depth of around 50m. Below that the temperature usually drops by not more than 2-3 degrees. The expected visibility is around 20- 25m. Dives will be scheduled during times with least current to the best of our ability.
Prizes and Sponsors
Overall Performance :
- 1st place Male / Female: 20 mio Rupiah
- 2nd place Male / Female: 15 mio Rupiah
- 3rd place Male / Female: 10 mio Rupiah
Best Discipline :
- Best CWT Male / Female: 10 mio Rupiah
- Best FIM Male / Female: 10 mio Rupiah
- Best CNF Male / Female: 10 mio Rupiah
Best Newcomers :
- Best CWT Newcomer M/F: 5 mio Rupiah
- Best FIM Newcomer M/F: 5 mio Rupiah
- Best CNF Newcomer M/F: 5 mio Rupiah
- 1st Overall Newcomer M/F: 7,5 mio Rupiah
- 2nd Overall Newcomer M/F: 5 mio Rupiah
- 3rd Overall Newcomer M/F: 2,5 mio Rupiah
National Record Breaker Money Prizes
(Prizes are tax deductible)
We hope this information is helpful, please contact us at email@example.com if you have any further questions!
We wish everyone productive training and hope to see you soon!
Indonesian Freediving Association